Scheduling An Appointment
The first step for scheduling an appointment is to choose the “Schedule An Appointment” button. Or, you can click here!
If you have an account, you’ll need to enter in your email address and password. Remember that this is a different log-in than your NetID! If this is your first time visiting our site, you’ll need to register for an account.
Use the dropdown at the top of the schedule to choose your location.
Any white space is an open time (blue = taken, gray = too late, orange = your appointment)
When you click on a white box, you can read the consultant’s bio to find out more about them. Consultants often highlight their favorite genres of writing to consult on, so you can choose a consultant whose background matches the work you’re completing. Once you’ve double-checked your appointment time and inputed the course number, instructor’s name, and a short description of what you’d like to work on, hit the “Save Appointment” button and you’re ready for your appointment.
If you’re scheduling an online appointment, you’ll also need to input your email address so our receptionist knows where to send your Google Doc.
All of our online consultations take place in Google Docs. However, the process for registering and scheduling an appointment is the same as in-person appointments. After you’ve made the appointment at writing.msu.edu, the receptionist will create a Google Doc specifically for your appointment, and you will paste the text from your document into the Google Doc.
At your scheduled appointment time, the consultant will join you in your doc and use the chat function to communicate with you. The consultant will add suggestions to your doc, and then ask questions in the chat function or in comments. You must remain in the doc for your entire appointment; if you leave during the session, the consultant will not make any more suggestions. Also, do not try to conduct your online appointment in the mobile version of Google Docs. The chat function will not work, and it will make asynchronous communication much more challenging.
After the appointment is over, you will need to save your changes in a separate doc. The receptionist deletes all of the Center’s Google Docs within 24 hours of the appointment ending.
- Walk-ins are generally not accepted; make sure to book an appointment in advance!
- Bessey Hall is the only location where you can book a two hour appointment.
- Even if you only have a small question that you believe can be answered quickly, you still need to make an appointment.
- There is a two appointment a week limit.
- If you miss two appointments, you will be locked out of the online system and will need to contact a director to have your account reinstated.
- An important note about appointment times:
- Satellites: 25 minute & 50 minute appointments
- Bessey: 50 minute & 1 hour and 50 minute appointments
- Online: 50 minute appointments