Multimedia Writing Center
The Multimedia Writing Center (MWC) is a satellite location of the Writing Center @ MSU that helps students with projects that go beyond written words. Started as a pilot program in Fall 2017, the MWC has helped numerous students from different majors, colleges, and technological proficiencies make their work better. Our consultants are trained in not only the technologies students use but also the design principles that will help make their work stand out.
We can help a wide variety of students (both undergraduate and graduate students from all majors and disciplines) and projects, including:
- Students in a first-year writing course working on a remix project (videos, audio, visuals, etc)
- Graduate students making a personal website to showcase research or going on the job market,
- Undergraduate students creating a WordPress site using Domain of One’s Own,
- Business or STEM majors creating a PowerPoint presentation for class
- And more
The consultants who work in the MWC are familiar with:
- The Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator
- Sound-editing software such as Garageband, Audacity, and AudioHijack
- Video-editing software, including iMovie, Adobe Premiere, and Windows Movie Maker
- Content-management systems such as Drupal, WordPress, and Omeka
We are located in room 201K in the Digital Scholarship Lab on the 2nd floor of the Main Library.
Request an Appointment (link to youcanbook.me)
All appointments must be made three days in advance. You will receive an email confirming the appointment after you have booked the appointment.
MWC coordinator will make sure that the DSL space is reserved (and release the DSL space 48 hours in advance if there is not an appointment).
Other consultants are welcome to communicate through email with clients in case of emergency or if a consultant needs to cancel an appointment within 12 hours. This is not recommended and should only be done in case of emergency.
Appointments must be cancelled at least 12 hours in advance by clients so we can release the room in the DSL lab. Clients who do not cancel 12 hours in advance will count as a missed appointment.
If a client misses an appointment (or cancels within 12 hours) without reason, they will not be able to schedule another appointment through the MWC.
Consultants are paid for missed appointment and for appointments canceled within 12 hours. The client will receive two reminder emails: one 16 hours before the appointment and another one hour before the appointment.
Appointments at the MWC are in hour blocks—appointments do not have to last the whole hour, but they are scheduled hour-long
Consultants provide their schedules at the beginning of the semester. Notify administrators two weeks in advance if there are changes.
Directions for Requesting an Appointment
Note: Appointments in the Multimedia Writing Center are based on client and consultant availability. You must request a time to meet with a consultant and the consultant must confirm via email that they are available to meet with you.
- Click this link: michiganstatemwc.youcanbook.me
- You will receive an email confirmation (see sample email below) from a Consultant, using the firstname.lastname@example.org email, communicating to you that they have accepted your appointment at your requested time. All appointments are held in the MSU Library’s Digital Scholarship Lab, Room 201K unless otherwise noted.You will also receive an email if the time you have requested is unavailable. If your requested time is not available, you will be directed to request a different appointment time.